Friday 11 May 2012

Part 14 - Sometimes you just need to reach out!

Ken Clement, owner of Florida Fitness Aylmer
I'd been feeling down and out and it was time for a shake-up. An old friend from my past, Ken Clement, is the owner of Florida Fitness Aylmer and I'd heard he was the trainer of many champion figure competitors and bikini models. Ken is a good friend who I'd lost touch with over the years. He was an important part of our crew when Larry and I organized events. We also used to get together for dinner quite often.

When I started getting ready to return to the competitive stage, I knew Ken would be there for me but I was too stubborn to even drop in to say hello. I was basking in the idea of being a dark horse, quietly training in a corner, providing my own nutritional advice and mentally counseling myself. I wanted to do it ALL ON MY OWN. And I did just that for the Ottawa Championships. But now I was getting ready for something much bigger. It was time to kick it up another notch. I decided to put my pride aside and pay Ken a visit. After all, he is up on all the new methods that surfaced during my absence. I also wanted to meet his star pupils who I'd been admiring from a distance.

From left to right: Pamela, Rosanne Neddo,
Joan Macdonald, Jennifer Lambert Foster,
Kierston Fu, Anouk A, Debbie Laurin-Leclerc
So one day I walked into Ken's gym not knowing how I'd be received. I wasn't sure if he, knowing that I'd returned to serious training, may have been insulted that I hadn't joined his gym. He greeted me with a big hug...whew!! He showed me around, processed my membership, signed me up for my first spinning class and booked me in for a consultation. I was now paying for two gym memberships and I didn't mind one bit. It reminded me a little of the old days when I trained in just about every gym in the area...Gold's Gym, Merivale Acres Y, Rideau Valley Fitness, Chaudiere Club, Orleans Recreation, Unlimited Fitness, Physical Limits...all of which have closed since then. It was my social and promotional network. The only difference is that I didn't used to have to pay for my memberships. Because I was involved in all facets of the sport, I was in a position to barter my memberships. Ah, those were the days! I'm humbled now, being a newcomer in many ways.

The commercial gyms these days are mostly equipped with rubber coated dumbbells and plates which are much quieter. Florida Fitness, however, kept the old metal equipment which clang every time they knock against each other. It put me back in time, giving me a tingly feeling. I was 25 again and training for the provincials.

Debbie Laurin-Leclerc
I did a light overall workout my first time at Florida Fitness to get reacquainted with the equipment. As I sat up from a bench press, I saw a reflection in the mirror of a beautiful blond woman entering the gym. It was Debbie Laurin-Leclerc, winner of many figure titles. She competed in the IFBB system where she won the overall title at the 2010 Quebec Championships, then went on to the 2011 Canadian Natural Championships. After that, she crossed over to compete with the IDFA and recently obtained her pro card. I walked right up to her and introduced myself. She's warm, friendly and genuine...a breath of fresh air.

Jennifer Lambert Foster
The next day I met Jennifer Lambert Foster, the winningest bikini competitor in the region. She too welcomed me with open arms. She has a successful business in place, providing advice to other figure and bikini enthusiasts. In the first weeks at my new gym, I also made the acquaintance of many other competitors; Kierston Fu, Rosanne Neddo, Meaghan Kesterton, Chantal, to name a few. The guys at the gym are just as friendly and welcoming. It's a small facility and everyone seems to know each other.

I attended my first spinning class soon after joining. It just about killed me! Ken is a serious cyclist and his classes are tough, but he toned it down a little for his newbie. I survived it and was already addicted. Spinning is good for getting the cuts out on the legs.

Spinning class at Florida Fitness Aylmer
At the end of March, ten weeks out from the provincials, I arrived for my consultation with Ken. He weighed me, measured me with calipers and entered by data into the computer. I'd kept my weight down during the off season so my diet was not going to be a problem. He analyzed photos of my past competitions, reviewed my current condition, made some recommendations, gave me a new program, and I was off to the races.

Kierston Fu at Florida Fitness Aylmer
Ken felt that I'd been over training and gave me an advanced workout which has me training less but with higher intensity. I was going to make every rep count. One of the reasons I hadn't wanted to consult with him earlier was because my gut told me that I needed to increase my intensity, but hadn't felt ready to go to that level. Now I am ready...hope it's not too late! As I'd mentioned in my last blog entry, I was feeling deflated physically and mentally. We agreed that this was due to over training. My workouts were too long and too frequent, not giving my muscles time to recuperate. It makes total sense now.

So with a new plan in place, I'm happily attacking my workouts with a passion. My spirits are lifted and my enthusiasm through the roof. Most of my workouts are now being done at Florida Fitness, but am still going to Nautilus Plus on occasion for a change of atmosphere and to keep in touch with a few friends I've made there.

Exactly one month later, I have a progress check with Ken. The results surprise even me..........


No comments:

Post a Comment