Sunday 20 May 2012

Part 16 - Tears of Joy

Joan MacDonald and Edmund Binggeli
I AM SO EXCITED. Went to pick up my new posing suit on Friday. Joan and Ed came up with the design together, Ed sponsored it, then Joan made it happen. Now my job is to wear it and show them that I deserve it. The draft that I'd seen earlier of the suit had me worried as it seemed over the top with bling for my level of competition. When we walked into Joan's under-construction workshop and saw the finished product on the mannequin, Ed was blown away while I stood there speechless. Joan studied me as I slowly walked closer to it, not saying anything. When I finally looked up, my eyes were filled with tears. Turns out the suit is not too much yet looks like a pro suit.

Just 12 days to go and I'm getting very nervous. I won't be as defined or as big as I'd envisioned but that's okay. The OPA, CBBF and IFBB have clearly established the direction they want the various women's categories to go and, from what I can tell, the super cut and super muscular are not winning in figure. The massive ones are being encouraged to compete in the new physique category and the skinny ones are getting the message that it might be a better idea to exit the stage and go eat a sandwich. And if you're fit but don't quite have the muscle bellies necessary for figure competition, then bikini is the way to go. I'm not knocking the other categories one bit. I have an appreciation for the bodybuilders because I used to be one and I admire the beautiful lines of the bikini model. I chose figure because it's somewhere in between and feel that my structure is more suited for it.


Since my last post, my weight has dropped quickly...too quickly. My metabolism has taken off on me. I'll have to either cut back on the cardio or up my carbs...or both. All I want to do at this point is tighten up a little more and not screw it up at the end. My bigger worry now is getting the stage presentation down pat. I'm working on that.

The ladies of Florida Fitness Aylmer are getting together for a rehearsal today which will take place at 3:30 pm. Most are preparing for competitions on June 16th, while mine is two weeks earlier on June 2nd. We'll wear our posing suits, put our heels on and make like we're stepping onto the stage. The beautiful weather we're having this weekend certainly won't hurt our tans. It promises to be a fun gathering! If you train at FFA or are a client of Jennifer Lambert Foster, try to make it out to join us. Don't worry, it's not a competition...no placings, no trophies...at least I don't think so! We can each take our turn at the walk, nail our signature poses, go through the paces of comparisons and maybe even do a victory pose. If you haven't figured out what it's all about yet, then you really need to be there. We're going to share tips and secrets...I hope.

Oh yeah, and I also got new shoes from Joan. It's an unwritten rule that clear shoes are required and I needed to get higher pumps to combat my height. When I showed them to the staff at Arthur Murray Dance Centre, making a comment that I wasn't sure if I could learn to walk in them, one of them offered to help me with that. I see another flair and walk lesson coming up at the studio. It's a perk of working for some of the best dance instructors in the city.

In my last entry, I hinted of a set-back in the form of an injury. Did something to my shoulder which is affecting my workouts and causes me trouble posing. I don't know what it is, but I'm working through it. I've adjusted my training slightly as some exercises in my program hurt too much. Just goes to show you that anything can happen at any time. When I was getting ready for the 1985 Canadian Bodybuilding Championships, I tore an abdomen muscle severely doing a swan dive into a friend's pool. Of course the doctor told me it needed complete rest. No doctor was going to convince me not to train, so Larry held my midsection in place as I did my exercises. If anything, it made me train more strictly. I went on to place a solid 3rd. If I could make it through that injury, I can make it through this one.

Until next time..........


No comments:

Post a Comment