Friday 25 May 2012

Part 17 - Three Slices and a Pint

Meaghan & Sue during the
Florida Fitness rehearsal
The rehearsal with the ladies of Florida Fitness was amazing. All ten invited to participate in our mock competition showed up. Ken hadn't been certain if he could make it, but he managed to clear his calendar and came ready to crack the whip. He took control of things beautifully, acting as our stage marshal and head judge. Actually, he was more like a drill sergeant! He took his job seriously, putting us through our paces for almost 2 hours. Jennifer was the perfect assistant, correcting our posture and making us hold our positions. Kierston was there cheering us on and offering encouragement. Ed was on the sidelines taking notes in preparation to make sure I practice what I learned. There were also a few extra bodies in the room serving as our audience.

What a great experience it was for everyone. We filed out on stage, lined up together, got called out for comparisons and practiced the T walk. It helped us get comfortable in our heels and loosen up. I'm not sure how well something like this would have worked at another gym. I've been around a long time and I've never seen a bunch of girls support each other like they do. Afterwards, Jenny gave us a taste of what she'll be doing in Miami on June 16th when she competes at the Miss Bikini Universe.

Since most did not sport tans which made them look whitewashed and others were in borrowed suits, I am not posting pics of the whole line-up...sorry!

As we were packing up to leave, I managed to get a few words in with Ken. He suggested that I trim down just a tad more and avoid any kind of stress until my event. So I took the opportunity to tell him about a fight I'd had with Ed the previous day. Ed did something to tick me off and I completely flipped. There I was on the treadmill at Nautilus Plus lashing out at him on my cell. Fortunately, it was quiet in the gym. After I disconnected from him, my walking became fast and furious. My nerves were so shot that I couldn't eat almost the whole day. I vowed to pull out of the competition. Later in the evening, after we mended our differences, I woofed down 3 huge slices of pizza and washed them down with beer. It was our first real fight and I'm glad it's over!

Meaghan Kesterton
Stress?............What stress?

Perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to cut fruit out of diet. I don't eat desserts much but I love my fruit. Restricting me of this healthy snack turned me into a raging bitch. When my friend Donna called to confirm an outing we'd plan, I decided to postpone until after the competition. I explained to her that my mind is on one track at the moment and I wouldn't be the best company. The good friend that she is, she understood.

I was so impressed with Jenny during our rehearsal that I decided to book some time with her for a stage presence class. It was helpful to get a private session with her to perfect my poses and work on my walk and attitude. The first thing we decided to change was the shoes. My walk is much more fluid with normal heels, so my new platforms have been kicked aside. I'll bring them with me to Toronto and throw them on only if the other grandmasters are super-sized. I won't need them for the open short division because I'll be standing with women my own height, but the grandmasters are all in one category.

After the stage presence class, I had just enough energy left to do a partial leg workout with Meaghan who's getting ready for her first competition. She is one strong girl! I'm old enough to be her grandma, yet it doesn't seem to matter in this world.

8 days to go..........

No comments:

Post a Comment