Friday 13 April 2012

Part 7 - Seriously, can anything else go wrong?


It's September 24, 2011 and we're in Hamilton for my figure debut at the Ontario Natural Championships. I'd been preparing for over a year. I'm a bundle of nerves and a day full of disasters and pleasantries is about to begin.

As I slip into my posing suit, I feel the bra riding up on me. The straps won't stay in place. Ed quickly gets to work with a needle and thread and secures them in place. Now we're running late so I have no time left to do anything with my hair. Note to self, always leave extra time for unexpected delays.

We fly out of the hotel, Ed gets behind the wheel of my PT Cruiser while I punch the venue into the GPS. I have an early make-up appointment with Cherry Dolls who will be backstage for the ladies. I can't be late, it's been prepaid. Juanita, the GPS, is not doing her job with directions. I'd been to Mohawk College years ago and I know we're nowhere near it. I'm dehydrated and hungry. I get into a fight with Juanita, punches are thrown, screams are heard...dammit, she's winning! Ed can't believe what he's witnessing...Sue losing her cool. I simply won't accept that perhaps I'd input the wrong address.

My figure debut at the Ontario Naturals
Somehow we arrive at the venue and I realize that I'd left my competitor pin at the hotel. Fortunately, the ushers will let me in because I look and smell like a competitor. (No, I don't stink, the tanning product has an odor.) The competitor pin is also needed when on-stage. It has a large number on it for the judges to identify us. Of all people to show up without their pin, it can't be me. I'd spent too many years reminding others to always keep it with them. Ed is on it, he drops me off at the door and heads back to the hotel to look for it.

The girls doing my make-up sit me down and calm my nerves. The make-up is heavy, my eyes disappear, I look like a 'doll'. Now we know where they got their name! I should have booked a hair appointment instead. All the ladies have beautiful hair...except me. Mine is just hanging in it's natural state. Let's look at the bright side, perhaps I'll get points for being a grandmaster with black hair down to my waist...not likely.

I look around at all the anxious competitors backstage, noticing that their tans are sooo dark. I look pale beside them...ugh! How did they get so dark? Times have sure changed. In my bodybuilding days, we just slapped a coat on before walking on-stage. Now it's a science. I find out that most of them got a spray tan from a professional the night before at the hotel. How come I didn't know about that? Geez!

Elke and Ray greet me at the Ontario Naturals
Strolling out into the lobby, I'm delighted to be greeted by some good friends who made it out to see me. Ray Williams and Elke Hensel-Williams live in Kitchener and have arrived with the kids. We've been close since we met in Montreal when Ray won the 1993 Canadian Bodybuilding Championships. Their support is important to me and seeing them is the first good thing that has happened on this day of chaos.

The pre-judging segment of the event gets underway. Ed meets me at the stage door, gives me a big hug and wishes me luck. I say a quick goodbye then turn away not wanting him to see the tears in my eyes. Why am I crying? Is it happiness, is it nerves, is it fear? I go backstage and get ready for my division. It's normal to pump up a little before going on so that your muscles are full. To my astonishment, the promoter has left minimal weights for us and what is there is being used. I reach into my bag and pull out a pair of 5 lb dumbbells which I'd brought for such an emergency. But it's not enough, so I find myself doing pushups against the wall instead.

I know just two person in the competition. Stephanie Meunier won the overall at the 2010 Ottawa Championships and won her division at the 2011 Ottawa Classic. She was my inspiration leading up to this day, and now I'm competing with her in the short class. It's a friendly competition and Steph is as friendly as they come. The other competitor I recognize is Melanie Gardner who won the overall at the 2011 Ottawa Classic. She exudes amazing confidence on-stage which I hope some day to replicate.

Figure Short (Steph, Pamela, Sue)
The backstage hand calls us out "Figure Short up next." Three ladies file out onto the stage in front of the judges. I'm so nervous, I can barely crack a smile. We go through our compulsory poses together and file off the stage. The pre-judging is only about judging, it's the time for the judges to assess us in advance of the evening finals. There's no Master of Ceremonies (MC), no announcements, no sparkle, no show. It's all about judging.

Figure Grandmasters (over 45)
Sue and Lynda
After the figure short class, I wait backstage for my next division. About an hour later, Lynda and I walk out together for figure grandmasters...two 53 year olds strutting our stuff. We file off again and that concludes the pre-judging for me. We have a few hours to kill before returning for the finals. Ed and I are joined by Lynda and her husband for dinner, then we return to the hotel to prepare for the evening.

Oh no, not another wardrobe malfunction! Ed had sewn the straps so tight on me that one of them detaches from the suit. Out came the needle and thread again...it's an easy fix. Back to the venue we go. This time, Juanita and I steer clear of each other. Ed has taken complete control of the GPS.

The evening finals! The glitter, the glory, the awards, the applaud. It's all so exciting. The audience has taken their seats, the judges are in place, the MC takes his position at the podium. "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the 2011 Ontario Natural Championships. Tonight we'll be treated to some of the best drug free athletes in the province. They'll be competing in bodybuilding, fitness, figure and bikini."

Each competitor is announced individually and walk gracefully down a set of stairs (in heels) to make their entrance at center stage. Along the way, we're to stop and present ourselves with three poses of our choice. My nerves get the better of me and I stumble into what was supposed to be my signature pose. I can't quite get myself composed. Oh well, the judging is done and I know very few people in the audience. 

The head judge stands up and hands the results to the MC. My heart stops beating for an instant..........

No comments:

Post a Comment