Thursday 26 April 2012

Part 11 - 2011 Ottawa Championships, Prejudging

It's the night before the Ottawas and I'm feeling confident. What's the worst that can happen? I could make a fool of myself. There's much worse things that could happen in life. This event will be more enjoyable because it's at home and my friends will be there to support me, win or lose.

As we arrive at the official hotel where the registration will be taking place, I'm bouncing off the walls with excitement. I frantically look for the room where I'm to meet Nina Luchka and Avril Mamo for my spray tan. The organizers don't know where they're set up. Huh, how could they not know? The front desk points me in their direction. With the first layer done, it's off to the registration. The head judge gives me the thumbs up on my new posing suit, measures me to determine my height division and cards me to ensure I qualify for grandmasters. I'm entered into Figure Short Open and Figure Grandmasters Over 45. We purchase a coach pass for Ed and order photos from the official photographer, Liana Louzon.

Taking a seat at the front of the room to wait for the competitor briefing, I introduce myself to the person sitting beside me, Sara Fennell. Though everyone looks nervous, it's a friendly atmosphere. After the briefing, the competitors are asked to report to another room to prerecord a short introduction for the following evening. What a great idea. Instead of having the MC introduce us, a large screen will be illuminated at the back of the stage and we'll introduce ourselves. Cool!

"Hi, my name is Sue Champagne. I'm excited and nervous to be here today. It's been 26 years since I've been on this stage as a competitor. I went from bodybuilding to ballroom dancing and now I'm back for figure. I'm 53 years old and I feel great!"  The videographer turned to the others and said "That's the way it's done folks. Now can everyone else please try to put that kind of enthusiasm into their introduction".

Okay, all the official stuff is out of the way, let's go get a cheat meal. Can't recall what I had, but am pretty sure it was chicken wings or pizza, perhaps both. I definitely had an alcoholic beverage, maybe two.

The next morning, with just two hours of sleep in me, we're up at 5 am. Ed takes me back to the official hotel for my second spray tan. While that's being done, he decides to go home to get a camera and promises to be back on time to take me to my next appointment. He's not back on time, isn't answering his cell phone and my house keys are in his truck. I go into panic mode. As I walk to the corner to hail a cab, he finally arrives and gets me to my 8 am hair appointment on time. All the way there, I'm tearing strips off him. Why didn't you call me to tell me you'd be late? Why didn't you answer your phone knowing that I'm a pack of nerves? Crap, if I wasn't so damned crazy about you, I'd, I'd, I'd, well I don't know what I would do!

My hair is done by Melanie at Salon Lafayette, then we dash across the street to Pharmaplus to meet with a Lise Watier rep for my make-up. My nails had been done earlier in the week and were holding up well. Back home, my bags are already packed and we're off to the venue.

The figure ladies are on last, so it's going to be a long day. Ed is backstage with me all day taking care of my every need. Nina and Avril are there doing tan touch-ups. Barb Lomer is controlling things backstage, keeping the competitors updated on the progress of the event. I have energy snacks and water with me. I also have a pair of 10 lb dumbbells which everyone around me appreciates as well.

Figure Short Open is a small class, just me and Amanda van Loenen. Amanda has everything to be proud about, having lost 50 lbs to be in this event. We're on and off the stage quickly, then it's time to wait for my next performance. My hope is that the next time I compete in Figure Short, there will be a bigger line-up.

Figure Grandmasters is finally called. This is going to be fun! These ladies came in shape, with experience behind them. We're all hard as nails. There's a lot of muscle on the stage, one of the strongest categories in the competition even though there are only four of us. We walk out together and take our positions. First round of compulsory poses are done, then the head judge reverses our order and has us repeat the process, then he switches us around and asks up to do it again and again. The judges have their hands full and want to see us from every angle and compare us against each other. This is what it's all about, this is what I came for...competition! The adrenalin is flowing, I'm smiling from ear to ear, I'm feeling confident and, most importantly, my friends are making plenty of noise.

As I exit the stage, I'm greeted by Dawn Beech and Isabel Staudinger, friends from my bodybuilding days. They've come to support me. It was so fantastic to see them again. Thank you Dawn and Izzy!

With the prejudging concluded, it was time to go home and relax a little before the evening finals. Relax?? You have got to be kidding me..........





No comments:

Post a Comment