Sunday 1 April 2012

Part 3 - I'm a Maniac

I'm alone on my journey, with the exception of Ed for support. I have no trainer and am not consulting with diet gurus. I've been on this road before so why not give myself credit. How much could possibly have changed in the years that have passed? Sure there's more advanced equipment out there, but I'm a firm believer that the basics still conquer.

Posing with Garrett Walsh who was about 11 at the time.
We were invited to do a couples demonstration together in 1982.

Upon making my decision to compete, I suddenly become a maniac. My weight workouts get more intense, my walks get longer and faster, I show up at the dance studio more often. I'm working out six days a week, hitting each muscle group twice a week (that will change later). I walk to the gym, run on the treadmill, climb stairs, challenge my strength in the gym, put more energy in my dancing. I'm researching techniques, adjusting my diet, reviewing contest results, googling the champions, examining the judging criteria, trying to sleep more (easier said than done)...and shopping for new clothes for my new physique.

The pioneers of women's bodybuilding in the early 80s.
I'm second from the right wearing pink.
I'm living and breathing fitness!

It's important to get lean for figure competition in order to display muscle tone. Figure competitors, however, do not have to get massive or striated. Organizations around the world are hoping to eliminate female bodybuilding and replace it with physique and figure (physique is another new category being added this year which is between bodybuilding and figure). The only way they can accomplish this is by downscoring competitors with too much muscle. So we need to achieve muscle tone while maintaining femininity.

Due to my age and sex, there are obstacles in front of me. As you no doubt know, females carry far less testosterone than males, and a post-menopausal woman has even less. Testosterone is an anabolic steroid found naturally in our bodies and is key to muscle development. Unfortunately, desperate athletes feel the need to cheat by supplementing themselves with a synthetic version of it which is why steroid use is banned in most sports. My health is way too important to sacrifice. Plus, I'm doing this for me first, the trophy second. I'm simply going to have to work that much harder. I'll never achieve what I did half a lifetime ago, but I'm going to be the best that I can be!

Diet is just as important as the training. It seems that low carb dieting is the in thing these days. In 1983, I followed the Atkins diet for six months prior to the Ontario Championships. To put it mildly, I was scrawny. My hard earned muscle deteriorated and when I reintroduced carbs to my diet, I gained the weight back quickly and mass amounts of cellulite appeared on my thighs and butt. It depressed me enough that I considered quitting competition and taking up darts. I avoid debates with low carb advocates because I'm no doctor or dietitian. I'm merely speaking from my own experiences. Low carb diets are good for quick weight loss and could possibly have health benefits for those who make it a lifestyle, but athletes need to fuel their bodies and carbs are good fuel. I don't overload on them as I'm not a marathon runner. I just don't believe in reducing carb consumption to the point of ketosis.

Being compared with Laura Creavelle who went on to become one of the
top pros in the world.  I'm on the far right and she's to my left.
Not all carbs are alike. The first thing to eliminate in any good diet, not only for weight loss but for health reasons as well, is all the white stuff and sugars. Gone are the processed breads, pastas, white rice, potatoes and desserts. It goes without saying that junk food also has to go. I get my carbs mainly from fruits and whole grains. Fats should not be cut out completely but definitely get rid of the deep fried food. I use a little oil for cooking, eat some but not all of my egg yolks and have red meat about once a week. Protein is important for muscle repair. My protein consumption is high compared to the recommended daily allowance.

The sum of it is high protein, moderate carbs and low fat in the diet. This I would do year round, then reduce the portions when it's time to lose weight. Hydration is also crucial. Make sure to drink plenty of water, the amount depends on your size and activity...I normally consume 3-4 liters per day. Calorie consumption is specific to each individual depending on their size and metabolism.

Before deciding when to compete, I needed to develop a plan. Starting weight was 125 in the summer of 2010, it was 120 in November 2010 when I went to see the first show and got inspired, it was 112 in April 2011 when I went to the second show and made my decision. I mentioned earlier that my weight was dropping 1.3 lbs per month. At this rate, to get myself down to 105 it would appear that I need about five months to prepare. However, my metabolism has changed as a result of my exercise and diet regime so the weight will come off faster, and I need time to improve my shape, build more muscle and tighten the skin.

September 2011 would be a good time for this dark horse to emerge..........

1 comment:

  1. Glad you decided to do this. I shared it on Pinterest, google+ and facebook. I hope you reach a much larger audience very quickly.

    ReplyDelete